Friday, February 19, 2010

The End or the Beginning

This Tuesday will be Cathy's last Tuesday with us as Lead Therapist of the H.O.P.E. Program.  I personally have experienced many emotions about her leaving.  I completely understand why she is leaving.  We all must make decisions that are best for us perssonally.  Did you catch that??  We ALL must make decisions that are BEST for us personally.  Now Cathy could have said "Poor Julie, what will she do without me to lead this program, especially in the evening when her eyes are half mast, so I couldn't possibly leave" or "Those sweet little participants just couldn't get throught the week without my wisdom and they might stop their journey of lifestyle change so I couldn't possibly leave" or "The YMCA has never had a program with a therapist working in it, they might get mad if I leave so I couldn't possibly leave".  I guess you get the picture.  While all those things may be true, she did not make a decision based on what she perceived others may need, she made a decision based on what she knew her needs were.  She put herself first, made a decision, and now I will make decisions that are best for me and this program.  It is the end of an era AND it is the beginning of an era.  It really is "both/and"! 

It really is a lesson. To know what is best for me, I have to be in touch with and connected to me.  My encouragement to us all this week, is to connect with ourselves as much as possible.  What are ways that you connect with yourself?  How do you take know what you need?  How do you know who you are?  Be willing to ask questions and to connect with yourself in order to answer them.  It is only when we connect with self that we become aware of who we are, what we feel and what we need.

Have a great week ladies.

**Also, could you all come to group about 10 or 15 minutes early to sign something for Cathy. Thank you!**

No comments: