Thursday, May 7, 2009

Individual Interview . . . and a little reminder

Hi Everybody! Welcome back to the H.O.P.E. Blog where we can come together and meet each other anytime we like. I invite you to sign up so that you can make comments and keep the conversation going. I want this to be a place where we can all share our experience with lifestyle change openly and honestly. There are many ups and downs and all arounds on this journey, and what keeps us moving forward is support from other on the same journey and practicing the emotional strategies(tools) that we learn each week in group. Here's what you can expect each week.

First Thursday of Month - Individual Interview
Second Thursday of Month - H.O.P.E. Highlight
Third Thursday of Month - Practical Ponderings
Fourth Thursday of Month - Julie's Journal
Fifth Thursday of Month(if there is one) - Surprise??

Before we get started with our first individual interview, I was asked to post a reminder on the Blog today that is extremely important for all of us to remember. There are 7 measures of success on the journey of lasting lifestyle change. The scale counts as 1/7 of the equation. That leaves a whole lot more measures of success. In fact, I think there are many more than 7. Put on your thinking caps and let's see if we can come up with more than 10 and share them here. (Just a side note, but I remember when KT and I were working so hard in the gym preparing for some event, maybe the half marathon, and she was not loosing weight. She was making extremely healthy food choices and working out like a hound dog, but no weight loss. Well guess how many inches she was loosing?? Several a week and then after a month or two she began to loose body weight again. She lost over 60 inches total, including 10 around her waist alone!) Just an example of a measure of success.

On to our first interview with Yarby Williams and I'll be checking in to see the ongoing conversation and to leave my own comments as well. Enjoy ladies, this is your space.

Individual Interview
What is your name?
Yarby Williams

Who is your family and additional support system outside of H.O.P.E.?
My husband John and three grown daughters, four grandchildren age 4 and under, and 5th grandchild due the end of June, a professional counselor, and numerous praying friends

How long have you been a H.O.P.E Participant?
18 months

What is the most useful tool you have received in H.O.P.E. and why?
“Act as if” After learning much about the emotional aspect of overeating in the first three months I attended H.O.P.E., I began to put into practice the actual lifestyle journey change, although I didn’t really “feel like” doing it. I knew it was time, and decided to use this favorite tool and just act like I really wanted to do it and eventually I actually grew into really wanting to do it, to the glory of God and for myself, not for my mother or anyone else.

What has been your greatest accomplishment through the H.O.P.E. program?
I began Weight Watchers 14 1/2 months ago, and exercise a couple of months later, first walking and then swimming. I have now lost 177 pounds and am no longer just existing, but living life! I’m off most of my medications and feel so much better. I’m excited about losing 23 more pounds and staying close to goal for life.

What has been your greatest challenge on your journey of lifestyle change?
Finding middle ground instead of “all or nothing”. I once feared ever going off my “diet plan” but now I realize that this is a lifestyle change journey and not a diet and I can’t live in the “all or nothing” for life. If I don’t do just right one day, I can now move forward the next day, the next meal, without feeling like all is lost.

What does the H.O.P.E. program mean to you personally?
It has given me my life back, literally. I do believe I wouldn’t be alive today if I had not found hope through H.O.P.E.

Can you share some words of wisdom with others who are just beginning their journey of lifestyle change?
Ask for and give encouragement and prayer support. Work the program and let the program work for you. Learn and use the tools, even if it begins with “acting as if”. Take advantage of the support of others in the group and share openly with them and enjoy this journey of lifestyle change one day (and one meal) at a time.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

God had revealed to me just the other day....."How about doing it just for MY glory....not for any other reason, not for what you can gain in life but just for MY glory" and there it is in print. I love the way He uses people.

I think about you guys constantly and how much I wish I were apart of the group.

Yarbster said...

YES, Kimberly, TO GOD BE THE GLORY! Reason enough to do the right thing. Yarbster